Recently relocated you'll find them a short 7-minute drive from the village. Mountain Creamery, a diner beloved by locals since 1987 and across from the Sleep Woodstock Motel. It's there you'll find promising homemade ice cream.
*New address: 4374 W Woodstock Rd, Woodstock, VT
With locally sourced ingredients from the milk to the waffle cones to the Vermont maple syrup used in many resident’s favorite flavors, Vermont Maple Walnut, this ice cream is as fresh and creamy as it gets. Other flavors like Toffee Crunch, Pistachio, Brownie a la Mode, and the classics chocolate and vanilla make it hard to choose – but with mix-and-max options for your cones, you don’t have to. Just be sure to come prepared – this sweet shop is cash only (ATM on-site).
- “some of the best ice cream around… whatever you do, don't leave without having some homemade ice cream. I promise you that you will not be disappointed.” – Stu, TripAdvisor.com
- “The ice cream was smooth and the waffle cones were so fresh, they must have been baked that morning! Take your cone down the street a bit and sit by the river.” – Denise, TripAdvisor.com
- “Be ready to eat your weight in ice cream” – Jennifer, Yelp.com
- “Hands down the best ice cream I have had to date. Perfectly balanced and so rich in flavor.” – Diana, Yelp.com
Location: 33 Central Street, Woodstock, Vermont 05091
Life is short, eat dessert first
Want your ice cream served with a side of nostalgia? Then head to the White Cottage Snack Bar (established in 1957), a piece of Vintage New England ripped straight from the history books with roadside dining flair.
Nestled between a bend in the road and a shallow stretch of the Ottauquechee River, it’s easy to see why this stop is a favorite of locals and visitors alike: charm plus classic fare enjoyed on a grassy riverbank equals summertime bliss.
Choose from a massive menu of Gifford’s ice cream and soft serve, then grab a spot on the outdoor swings, tables, or standing ankle-deep in crystal clear water – and enjoy. But don’t arrive unprepared! This seasonal gem is cash-only.
- “It's not summer to us without a visit to this landmark in Woodstock.” – MASOLA91, TripAdvisor.com
- “Unbelievable ice cream flavors” – madtana97, TripAdvisor.com
- “One of the best ice cream / burger stands in Vermont” – Gregory, Yelp.com
- “Perfect for a summer evening. Tons of delicious ice cream choices. Take your ice cream outside and sit in one of the swings or dip your feet in the water. Old fashioned, perfect fun.” – Lisa, TripAdvisor.com
Location: 863 W Woodstock Rd, Woodstock, VT 05091
At Billings, the promise of ice cream only sweetens the deal – as you’ll get behind-the-scenes access to the fields and barns of this working farm filled with friendly cows, sheep, goats, horses, and more!
Between up-and-close intros – and even some selfies – with resident animals, check out the Dairy Bar on the ground floor of the 1890 Farm House. There, you’ll find creamy, delicious Vermont-made Wilcox ice cream that demands your taste buds’ attention!
- “Baby goats, fresh ice cream and lots of history. What's not to love?” – Beverly, Google Reviews
- “I would highly recommend visiting the dairy bar which had amongst the best quality ice cream that I have ever had” – Ashley, Yelp.com
- “it was so fun to pet all of the animals, learn about their cheese production, and get some ice cream while looking around at Picturesque Woodstock, VT. It's a perfect activity for families or couples!” – Lindsey, Yelp.com
Location: At Billings Farm & Museum (69 Old River Rd, Woodstock, VT 05091). The Dairy Bar is located on the ground floor of the 1890 Farm Manager’s House.
Hours: Thursday through Monday, 10 AM-4 PM, click here for more information
This one's an experience. Hop in the car and wind your way through the verdant hills of Barnard to reach some of the creamiest ice cream your taste buds will ever experience. Step inside Kiss the Cow's Farm Store when the cravings hit (the shop's always open!) for fun, funky flavors by the pint like Dirt with Worms, Blueberry Lavender, Holy Cow, Balsamic Strawberry, Egyptian Licorice – plus classic favorites including Cookies & Cream and Dark Chocolate Daydream.
This farmstead super-premium ice cream is made in small batches on their farm using their own grass-grown organic cream and milk, as well as eggs from their very own hens. In essence, ice cream doesn’t get any better than this. Cash or checks only.
- “Kiss The Cow's concoctions and medleys of flavor are extremely extraordinary” – All Points Delicious, DailyUV.com
- “Best homemade ice cream!” – Brian, Google Reviews
Location: Kiss the Cow Farm, 2248 Royalton Turnpike, Barnard, VT 05031