recurring weekly: Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller parkrun
The newest race on our list presents another chance to conquer one of Vermont’s two national parks: Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller – with a twist! After the inaugural run, free weekly walk/runs will follow so you can enjoy the great outdoors on your schedule, at your pace.
- Start Time: 9 AM (arrive at 8:50 AM for a pre-walk/run briefing at the Carriage House)
- Location: Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller NHP
- Distance: 5k
- Difficulty: Mild to moderate
- Registration: Pre-register online here
Saturday, May 16, 2020: Road to the Pogue
Races don’t get more scenic than this! Imagine rolling carriage roads surrounded by lush greenery that gives way to stunning vistas of Woodstock’s quaint village and surrounding farmland. That’s just a sample of what you’ll find at the Road to the Pogue 10k. Beginning and ending at the park’s Forest Center, this course affords myriad landscapes, from a pine needle path through towering red spruce trees to the sunny banks of Pogue, a picturesque 14-acre pond amidst the wilderness, to the summit of Mount Tom. Expect water stops throughout, prizes for the top three finishers in each age group, and fresh pancakes at the finish line!
- Start Time: 8:30 AM
- Location: Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historical Park, 54 Elm Street, Woodstock, VT 05091
- Distance: Approximately 10k (6.1 miles)
- Difficulty: “Challenging but beautiful”
- Registration: $40 entry fee, register here (no day-of registration)
- For Spectators: The carriage trails are open – but please remain on the edges and ensure furry companions are leashed.
Sunday, May 17, 2020: BarnArts Race Around the Lake
Barnard’s Silver Lake is a destination for locals and visitors alike, and what better way to tour this pristine natural setting than a race? As a competitor, you’ll traverse scenic paths, country roads, and wooded trails with peek-a-boo views of the lake. After crossing the finish line, runners and walkers (5k only) can celebrate their victories lakeside with a free catered lunch (from Twin Farms, the Barnard Inn, and Marceau’s Fine Foods), live music, and awards for the top 3 finishers in each race. Kids, stick around for a post-race fun run!
- Start Time: 10:30 AM (10k), 10:45 AM (5k)
- Location: Silver Lake State Park, North Road, Barnard, VT US 05031
- Distance: 5k and 10k
- Difficulty: 5k mild to moderate, 10k challenging
- Registration: Register online here.
- For Spectators: The soft, sandy beach at Silver Lake is a picture-perfect spot to post up during the race!
Sunday, June 7, 2020: Covered Bridges Half Marathon - SOLD OUT
On your mark, get set, go – on the best 13.1 miles in New England! Although this road race sold out (2,300 bibs in 7 minutes; talk about setting a strong pace!), you can still join in on one of Vermont’s most scenic half-marathons. If you commit to raising $500 for a non-profit partner, you can snag one of the last few bibs. But don’t wait. Register now for a chance to jog through three of our local covered bridges as they pass the Ottauquechee: Middle Covered Bridge, Taftsville Covered Bridge, and Quechee Covered Bridge (see photos on our covered bridges tour here). Hot and cold beverages, as well as treats like Covered Bridges Cookies, yogurt, fruit, Lazy Cow Ice Cream, and a beer garden await at the finish line! Fuel up the evening before with a Pasta Supper.
- Start Time: 8:15 AM
- Location: Suicide Six Ski Area, 247 Stage Road, South Pomfret, VT 05067
- Distance: 13.1 miles
- Difficulty: Challenging distance, with a gentle topography (200-foot drop from start to finish)
- Registration: Only available through non-profit partners
- For Spectators: Take a space along the sidelines to cheer on friends and family!
Saturday, June 6, 2020: West Windsor 5 & Dime Trail Run
Anyone from seasoned runners to newbies can partake in this race-day through the beautiful Ascutney Trails, featuring “a hilly lollipop loop course” with a mix of single and double-track uphill climbs and downhill slopes.
- Start Time: 9 AM (10k), 5k will begin minutes later
- Location: Ascutney Trails, 449 Ski Tow Road, Brownsville, VT 05037
- Distance: 5k and 10k
- Difficulty: Challenging 10k (running only), mild (walking) to moderate (running) 5k
- Registration: Pre-register online here, $15 for adults, $10 for teens 15-19, free for kids 14 and below. Race-day registration from 7:45 – 8:45 AM, $20 for adults, $15 for teens 15-19, free for kids 14 and below.
Saturday, July 4, 2020: The 44th John Langhans Green Mile Road Race
Put your patriotism on parade with this community race through the center of town, ending with free tee shirts, snacks, and music on the Green.
- Start Time: Runners and walkers at 8:30 AM, kids’ fun run (under 10) begins at 10:30 AM
- Location: The Woodstock Village Green, Woodstock, VT 05091
- Distance: 10k
- Difficulty: Mild (walking) to moderate (running)
- Registration: Pending
Friday, July 17 through Saturday, July 19, 2020: Vermont 100 Endurance Run
Following a serpentine path down dirt roads, wooded trails, and along the Green Mountains, it’s no surprise runners are in for a challenge: 17,000 feet of climbing, to be exact.
- Start Time: 4 AM (100-mile race), 9 AM (100k race)
- Location: 1850 Silver Hill Rd, Windsor, VT 05089
- Distance: 100 miles and 100k
- Difficulty: Very challenging
- Registration: Click here
Friday, August 24 through Saturday, August 25, 2020: Ragnar Trail Vermont
This race kicks things up a notch: think running and camping in a three-day extravaganza of outdoor adventure. Wrangle your most adventurous friends to tackle three trails that begin and end at Ragnar Village, set on beautiful Mount Ascutney. When you’re not hitting the trail, you’re taking in spectacular music, movies, and food around a bonfire, glowing beneath a night full of stars.
- Start Time: Rolling
- Location: Ascutney Mountain, Ski Tow Road, Brownsville, VT 05037
- Distance: 14.8 miles total across three trails
- Difficulty: Green loop is easiest, yellow intermediate, and red is the most difficult
- Registration: Register as a team here before registration closes
Saturday, September 12 through Sunday, September 13, 2020: Vermont Ultra, Beast, and Sprint Weekend
Choose your own adventure with Ultra (30 mile/50k), Beast (13 mile/21k), Sprint (3 mile/5k), and Kids Races (from two to .5 miles) all in one weekend at Killington. Steep slopes, daunting climbs, and icy swims are guaranteed at a course built to challenge even the most prepared athlete. To the victors go the spoils (e.g. prize money, medals, goodies, and bragging rights).
- Start Time: See website for start times by race
- Location: Killington Ski Resort, Killington, VT
- Distance: Races feature lengths from 50k to .5 miles
- Difficulty: Very challenging to mild
- Registration: Register here